Relocating and Getting Around


Students must acquire residence credits in consecutive semesters (residence credits are earned at the rate of 1 credit for full-time enrollment at 9 credit-hours, 2/3 credit for part-time enrollment at 6–8 credit-hours, and 1/3 credit for part-time enrollment at fewer than 6 credit-hours);

You can find more information about resident credits and establishing residency on the Graduate School website.

Getting Around

Check the Graduate School Survival Guide for further information about ID cards, residence, parking permits, registration, and tuition.

Your NC State Student ID is called OneCard. You can find the latest up-to-date information at One Card. To get your ID card, go to the OneCard’s office, which is in the Talley Student Center and is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. You can contact them via phone at 919-515-3090 or use their contact form to send them an email. Your first ID card is covered under your Graduate Student Orientation Fee. You will need to bring a driver’s license or other photo ID to get your student ID.

If your ID card does not automatically access Ricks Hall Addition (where the CRDM workspaces for Ph.D. students are located), contact the CRDM Program Manager (Laura Kelly), and ask her to request access for you. Access is usually granted within 48 hours.

Detailed up-to-date information regarding how to get a NC Driver License or Learner Permit can be found on the NC DMV website. Please note that you will likely have to register your vehicle and pay property tax in North Carolina within several months of arriving. You can find more information about vehicle registration at the NC DMV website.

During nights and weekends, you can park in the parking lot next to Ricks Hall Addition. During the day, you can park on the street on the south side of Varsity Lot (the corner of Marcom and Gorman) for free, then take the Varsity bus up to Hillsborough Street, where it will drop you off right at the intersection in front of Ricks.

If you park on Hillsborough Street, there are parking meters. The meters turn off at 5 p.m. You may also purchase a parking permit for a commuter lot by visiting the NC State Transportation office.

The routes for the Wolfline Bus System are available online using the Transit Visualization System or as a downloaded app.

Students can ride both Capital Area Transit (CAT) and Triangle Transit with a Go Pass. CAT is the local Raleigh bus line. Triangle Transit provides regional bus service to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, Hillsborough, and Wake Forest and has service to RDU airport. You can order you Go Pass online during the summer months. It will be mailed to you in about 10 days. If you need a Go Pass after the online ordering window has closed, visit the Transportation Office at 2721 Sullivan Drive to pick one up and take your student ID. Your Go Pass is good from August to August.

To ride, just swipe your Go Pass in the farebox as you board for every transit trip you take. Be aware that you may also be asked to present your current NC State ID to the bus operator as well.